Friday, April 13, 2012

Reading Reflection: A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark #1)
by Jocelyn Davies
Published September 11th 2011
P. 390
Rating: 4/5

On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.



What the crap just happened? 
Really!?
Holy hell fire.

Alright, so I was reading this book and I thought to myself: Ah, another Good Boy vs. Bad Boy love triangle... mixed with angels.  Nothing special, but not bad either. 

Skye is a teenager who loves to ski, does well in school, has close friends, and lives with Aunt Jo.  Her parents died in a car crash when she was six and her mother's best friend has been raising her since, but due to her job, Aunt Jo is absent a lot.  Enter two new students: Asher and Devin.  Yes, the bad boy and the good boy who both seem to be warring for Skye's attention.  It turns out Skye has a family history that makes her a high priority case, explaining many secrets, strange events, and why both these boys are desperate to win her over.

That sums up the plot.  Now, Skye.  I wasn't thrilled about her, but I didn't hate her either.  I was actually indifferent to her, which made the book difficult to really get into.  I didn't find the spark... that thing that makes me fall in love with the narrator.  But, again, she wasn't all that bad, just not my favorite. 

Asher... the tall, dark, and handsome bad boy.  I'm tired of the bad boy.  I'm tired of them always winning my literary girls over with their arrogant allure (angry fist in the air) so I had a personal dislike for him in the beginning.  He was charming, handsome, and intriguing -- but I wasn't falling for it this time.  I had my guard up.  Well, I tried to have my guard up, but the bad boys are just so darn captivating I couldn't help myself.  Asher held my interest throughout the novel... no matter how hard I fought against it.  It was those little moments, those little instances that showed he wasn't such a bad-ass after all.

Now, Devin -- the good guy.  Light hair, clear blue eyes, and a calm demeanor.  He was the polar opposite of Asher in every way possible. I was rooting for Devin.  He seemed so sincere, but reserved.  One of my favorite moments in the book was when he let loose a little, had a little fun. 

Alright, initially I wanted to give this book a 3-rating for predictability, love triangle, and less than amazing heroine -- though it did keep me interested throughout the novel.  I thought I was so clever while reading, even rolling my eyes at the obvious sequence of events.  But... then the ending happened.  I read those last few pages and was left with my mouth hung open and staring blankly at the words on the page.  What the heck?!  I did not expect what happened, threw me completely off guard, and I felt like a sucker -- I played right into it just like Skye.  So, it was not as predictable as I expected.  That's what bumped my rating... touche Ms. Davies... touche.  

No comments:

Post a Comment