Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading Reflection: Pandemonium

Pandemonium
by Lauren Oliver
Publushed February 28th 2012
P. 375
Rating: 5/5

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Holy extremely awkward ending Batman!
I've been waiting for this book forever.. okay not forever.  I only read Delirium last month, but 30 days felt like a long time. 

Okay, I'm not sure if I love this book for the sole purpose of loving the book or because it left me super amped for the next one.  I haven't yet decided, but there is minimal or possibly nothing I found really wrong with the plot line. 

In the previous book, Lena and Alex tried to escape into the wilds, but Alex didn't make it which literally broke my heart.  I loved Alex and Lena together, after reading the first book I had to submerge myself in hours of Family Guy to get over my depression.  This book picks up right after that horrible instance.  However, the author flips back and forth between different time periods of Lena's life.  One chapter in the Wilds, the next chapter present day, one chapter in the Wilds, the next chapter present day, and so forth.  I have to admit, a ridiculously embarrassing dumb moment kept me from understanding the first few chapters, then I remembered that I had critical thinking skills and used them. 

Then... I loved the concept.  Every other chapter you saw Lena's struggle through heart break, loss, and unfamiliarity in the Wilds.  You learned about the characters that created this new home, their struggle, and the process of Lena acclimating to the new environment.  Then, the other chapters you get to see Lena and her new role, taking on responsibilites and missions for the resistance... it was like two stories in one and I liked the style. 

Now, in Lena's new role, or her mission, she is told to follow Julian: a young man whose family is a major part of the cure.  They both get kidnapped and held hostage together.  Needless to say they grow a bond.  Do I like Julian, not at first because I love Alex, but I see how the relationship can build.  I also felt that Lena had changed roles with Alex.  He was the one who introduced her to new ideas, sensations, and love.  Now Lena is playing that role with Julian.  He might be slightly brainwashed, but theirs hope, curiosity, and strength in him - which is why I can't hate him.  He reminds me of clueless Lena.

Now... the last page of this book... HOLY HORIFFICALLY AWKWARD MOMENT BATMAN!
That's all I have to say.  I don't know if I should wish bad things on Lauren Oliver or applaud her for ingeniousness, because the next book I'll be purchasing the day it is released. 

No comments:

Post a Comment