Sunday, March 18, 2012

Reading Reflection: The Probability of Miracles

Probability of Miracles
by Wendy Wunder
Published December 8th 2011 
P. 360
Rating 3/5

Dry, sarcastic, sixteen-year-old Cam Cooper has spent the last seven years in and out hospitals. The last thing she wants to do in the short life she has left is move 1,500 miles away to Promise, Maine - a place known for the miraculous events that occur there. But it's undeniable that strange things happen in Promise: everlasting sunsets; purple dandelions; flamingoes in the frigid Atlantic; an elusive boy named Asher; and finally, a mysterious envelope containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies. As Cam checks each item off the list, she finally learns to believe - in love, in herself, and even in miracles.

A debut novel from an immensely talented new writer, The Probability of Miracles crackles with wit, romance and humor and will leave readers laughing and crying with each turn of the page



God I hate cancer books!!! Yes, it's a cancer book.  Family and personal history keeps me from being drawn to these types of novels... hate them.  But, I'll try to overlook my prejudices... I picked out the novel knowing what it was.
Cam, a teenage girl who has been battling cancer for the past few years finally received knews about her condition.  Not good news, there was nothing the doctors could do to save her, absolutely sucks.  Because modern medicine won't cure her at this point, her mother turns to other avenues eventually leading them to a miracle town: Promise, Maine.  Strange things do happen in this town, but Cam the cynic fights the magic, while her sister and mother are ready to believe.

Slowly, Cam begins to accept the magic and lets her guard down.  She begins to enjoy life, crossing things off her "Flamingo List" (a bucket list she created with her also cancer diagnosed best friend), but its more than just crossing off a to-do list, she really learns to live.

I loved the characters of this book.  Cam was amazing with her witty cynicism, always thinking the worst of every thing while her sister and mother became overzealous in the search for miracles.  She was intelligent, something I liked, though I could care less about some of her ramblings.  Of course there is a love interest and it played out better than I thought it would, I love those awww.... finally moments in books.  One of my favorite lines of the book was actually in that moment:

Asher: I'm going to kiss you know.
Cam: Do you always announce it like that?
Asher: You just seemed like the type that might get spooked.

Loved that scene.

Anyway, the story is good.  You really see her start to open up.  It's an act at first, but she finally gets there.  That's probably why I think the ending sucked.  Agian, my own personaly opinion because of the reason I read books in the first place: to forget about all the hard stuff in life.  I won't say what happens, I hate spoilers and I already put one in this post, but the ending broke my heart because I wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment