Friday, February 10, 2012

Reading Reflection: Shiver

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)

by Maggie Stiefvater
Published August 1st 2009
P. 390

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon. A stirring supernatural teen romance.

I'm on the fence about this book.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.  I was reading other reviews and agreed with many of the sentiments... this book was very slow.  The entire book felt melancholy and somber.  There is minimal action and you spend the book trapped inside the characters head, almost all the time, with nothing of importance taking place.

The characters left me confused as well, I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not.  Grace was the pragmatic thinker who took care of herself.  She obsessed about the wolves on her property for years, after an incident when she was younger.  Sam, for a change, was a sensitive and feminine male lead -- almost endearing.  I think I would of enjoyed both characters more if I felt a spark in their relationship, but I didn't.

The character I did enjoy was Isabel, the snotty rich girl.  Her character was dynamic.  She bothered me at first, but throughout the novel I really enjoyed her presence... refreshing.  Overall, for a one time read it wasn't a bad book.  It was sweet, the characters were okay, and it segued into the 2nd book with a happy ending... so I say it's a rainy Sunday afternoon book.  Nothing too involved, just enough to let your mind wander into Mercy Falls.



No comments:

Post a Comment