Sunday, January 8, 2012

Reading Reflection: Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster

by




The book reminded me of this quote...
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

I absolutely loved this book.  For the past few years I submerged myself in these young adult/middle grade paranormal romances: vampires, werewolves, psychics, telepathics, angels, etc.  Though I like this genre, I needed a change and Beautiful Disaster satisfied that itch.

It seemed so much simpler, realistic.  Bad boy falls for good girl.  Good girl fights attraction for bad boy.  Good girl doesn't have such a good girl background.  The relationship between Abby and Travis was anything but normal.  They presented a clear case of codependency, playing games with each other at every turn.  But... you wanted them to work it out.  You fought against your logical sense that told them to run and seek counseling and rooted for them to find a way to be together.  I loved Abby's attitude toward Travis, she wasn't easily impressed with his charms like every other girl.  He had to win her over.  I liked Travis' vulnerability, he absotuley needed her to survive... well, to continue trying to be a better person.  She grounded him.

Their relationship turmoil seemed to drag on at certain points and I became bored occasionally, impatient for the next up or down in their relationship.  It was realistic to me, like a real dysfunctioal relationship and I wanted to know if they can over look each other's flaws.  I even liked the supporting characters, America might be one of my favorite of all times.  She wasn't overly annoying which is constantly found in other novels I read.  I loved their friendship and once you find out about Abby's past you appreciate the bond they have so much more.  It was a real group of friends and demostrates how their relationships affect one another.  Overall, it was a very good read and I recommend it to anyone.



  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eve,
    Donna here! I was just checking out some of your reviews for the 2012 TBR challenge and I had to comment on this review. I so want to read this book and your review makes me want to read it more. Awesome review. Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really was a good read, it made me remember my most young and volatile relationship... silly, but all consuming at the time. Hope you like the book as much as I did.

      And... I have placed your blog on my list for blog awards
      Here is the site... http://evequinn.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-awards.html

      Your blog is there!! Thanks!

      Delete