Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reading Reflection: Unbound

Unbound (The Guardian Legacies)

by Emily Goodwin
Published October 1st 2011

The world of ghosts and spirits is nothing new to eighteen year old Anora Benson; she’s spent her whole life trying to ignore them, trying to be normal. But when the Pricolici, a group of ancient bounty hunters, are sent after her, Anora realizes she is more than just a medium.
As a witch she has power, power she doesn’t know how to use, power that makes her vulnerable to the demons that desire her gifts. Anora is alone and scared, forced to face the darkness on her own. Then she meets Ethan, a mysterious boy who shows up in her life right along with the magic, and he seems to know quite a bit about her and her legacy Coven. Will she risk everything by trusting him or risk fighting alone?



Alright, I have very mixed feelings about, Unbound, the debut book by Emily Goodwin.  Let's start off with the negative so I can get it out of the way.  I didn't really like the way the book was written.  I don't know why, I found myself completely lost at some points because I had no idea there was a scene change.  I had to go back and reread the sections to figure out what happened.  Secondly, there were a lot of errors... to the point where I couldn't comprehend the story.  That added to my overall confusion.  I also found the heroine annoying, something about her had me rolling my eyes every three pages, she just irked me.  I got it, you're weird, move on or do something about it.

Okay, now that I feel horrible, let's move onto the positives.  I really liked the story line.  Even though I was confused at points and wasn't fond of the heroine, I wanted to know what happened.  I wanted to see Anora develop, that kept me reading and will keep me looking for the series.  I also liked that the heroine could share her life with her romantic interest, that they supported each other.  Instead of one being weak always taking care of the other, that was an enjoyable twist to the story.  I only feel that the story, and story writing, can be better from here and look forward to seeing the growth of The Guardian Legacies and Emily Goodwin.




No comments:

Post a Comment