Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reading Reflection: Hollowmen (The Hollows #2)

Hollowmen (The Hollows #2)

by Amanda Hocking
Published November 10th 2011 

the sequel to Hollowland....
After six months in the quarantine, Remy finds out things are much worse than she feared. Her plans to escape come with a heavy cost, and she realizes that zombies aren't the worst of her problems.



Wait... it's over?  That was is it?  Did I miss a page?  Those were my thoughts as I finished this book and attempted to click the right and left navigation buttons on my Nook, trying to find what I'd missed.

Well, this book started right from the end of the previous, Hollowland, with Remy getting butchered for experimental purposes.  It was grotesque and I couldn't handle the descriptions, so I had to skip a few pages.  This wasn't a bad thing I just don't do horror, blood, and gore... can't handle it.  It's one thing when zombies are being dismembered and speared, another to read a description of a human being sliced open, gross.

Um.... well, no one but Remy is present in the sequel, which, I don't know if I like or not.  I didn't like her love interest in the previous book, so I wasn't overly upset, but I was still attached to her makeshift family.  It was a bit confusing, disheartening, and depressive... perfect when the world is being destroyed by zombies and everyone you love has fled or died.  I guess those would be your sentiments.

I could deal with everything else, but the story was boring.  They walked, zombies attacked, they fought, they walked.  Occasionally, horrible people would interfere, making it even more depressing.  Not even the human characters were decent during the apocalypse... everything was just downright sad.  There was a little hope for them in the end, but I didn't feel it offered a real conclusion.  I wasn't satisfied.  I think that was the point though.  The world has ended. everyone you loved is gone, you've had to kill repeatedly, you've faced death for months, and the only thing you can hope for are the little things in life: water, food, shelter, clothing, and a few good people for company.





No comments:

Post a Comment